It has been a year since Edward Beshore of the OSIRIS REx Mission presented "Bennu Here We Come"....the exciting project of retrieving extraterrestrial material from the asteroid Bennu and returning it to earth by 2023. The spaceship is now 1.5+ years into the Mission...halfway on its journey to Bennu. Onboard instrument includes:
- Three Mission cameras (OCAMS: imaging suite)
- Three spectrometers (OTES: Thermal Emission, OVIRS: Visible & Near Infrared, REXIS: Regolith X-Ray Imaging)
- Three navigation cameras
At this point in time:
- All instrumentation systems have been exercised,
- An Earth Trojan Asteroid search was conducted,
- Multiple maneuvers & calibrations including the Earth Gravity Assist were carried out.
Dr. Bashar Rizk, Instrument Scientist for OSIRIS REx Camera Suite (OCAMS) and an OSIRIS REx Co-Investigator, will be reporting on both mission status and instrumentation performance in his presentation on May 17.